Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Jesus:Rejected and Alone

Matthew 26:55 At that time Jesus said to the crowds, "Have you come out with swords and clubs to arrest Me as you would against a robber? Every day I used to sit in the temple teaching and you did not seize Me.
56: "But all this has taken place to fulfill the Scriptures of the prophets." Then all the disciples left Him and fled.

This passage of scripture causes sorrow in my heart. When Jesus performed all those miracles during His life, healing the sick, casting out demons, saving people from their sins, and giving to the poor during His ministry. All those same people who received those wonderful free gifts from Jesus, and they all turned against Him in the end. But as Jesus said, it had to happen so the scriptures could be fulfilled. The hardest part to understand is when the 12 disciples even rejected Him at His most critical time of need. His best and closest friends ran away from Him and allowed Him to be arrested. He must of felt the rejection deeply as He was part man and part God. As I get prepared before the time of resurrection day, I read in all the gospel accounts the story about the time right before the crucifixion, and all the things Jesus had to suffer before He died on the cross. The spitting, slapping, the 40 lashes He took on His back, the rejection He felt and the humiliation as the people taunted Him with unloving words. It makes me much more appreciative to know the actual cost of Him giving His life on the cross for me, He died that I might have eternal life.

So as I meditate on the sufferings of Christ it will help me to look more forward to Resurrection day, because the Bible teaches us that if Christ did not raise from the dead then our faith is in vain, but we know that Jesus did raise back to life again and the same power that raised Him from the dead is working in us who believe . So as we get closer to that celebration, take the time to tell others about the gospel message and what Jesus' death means to them.

P.S. I was recently thinking about a ministry that would connect Christians so we could spend time together during the week in between services and times of study. I sometimes have the feeling of being alone. I know there are many people in the church who enjoy hiking and going to social events. I was recently looking at some of the photo albums at the church and saw some pictures of church families going on a bike/hike in Titusville, and I also remember some trips we took going to Pittsburgh on a bus. It would be so much fun to connect with others and share those times together, but I am not sure how to get a ministry like that organized. I know with the economy like it is, several people cannot afford to do the things they normally would do like go somewhere special for a week, but there are many things close by, that are free or low cost and someone like myself who cannot afford to have a car, I could help pay for the gas. I was wondering how many other people are like me and don't do many things, but if the opportunity was there, we would be inspired to get involved if a group of others would go. Maybe it could be a special outing once a month. An example would be Presque Isle. Lots to do and see and most of it is free. If anyone reads this and has ideas and you see me in church, share your ideas and maybe we can get the idea organized for later this summer.

1 comment:

  1. Brian...
    it is great to see that you have your own blog.

    I enjoyed reading all your posts.

    Jesus, surely must of experienced all the emotional pain you described in this post,
    at the time of his arrest and crucifixion.

    Below are some words
    from one of my favorite songs :

    "AT THE CROSS" by Hillsongs
    Oh Lord You've searched me...
    and even when I fail You... I know You love me.
    At the cross I bow my knee where Your blood was shed for me.
    There's no greater love than this...
    You have overcome the grave...
    Nothing can separate me from You now.
    You made the Way for all who will believe.

    Thank you Lord Jesus... keep holding on to me.

    ReplyDelete