Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Psalm 143: A Prayer for Deliverance and Guidance

On Sunday morning, I had the wonderful privilege of teaching the adult senior class. The teaching was on Psalm 143. If you would like to read it that would be good. It was an easy lesson for me to teach, because I have gone through some difficult times in the past few years so I was able to share some testimonies how God worked in my life. Although David was writing about physical people as being his enemies and they were trying to seek to destroy his life, I wasn't having many difficulties that way, but my enemies were other things going on in my life. And praise God that as I turned to him and began trusting Him in the midst of the situation, He was able to deliver me. I have changed my attitude to how I handle difficulties in my life if and when they come now. I realize He is in control, and I need His guidance and leadership.



Here are some highlights that I gleaned out of this Psalm.



Verse 1: David wants to make sure his prayer is heard so he asks God twice to hear his prayer then he asks God to give ear to his supplication. He realizes his unworthiness to go before the Almighty so he asks twice. He wants God to answer him in His righteousness. He knows that you can't gain righteousness by following the law and you can't earn it by your good deeds which to God are filthy rags. 1John has a verse that says we can become righteous when we confess our sins and we become right through the blood of Jesus Christ.



verse 2: He knows that no man is righteous not even one and asks God not to judge him, even though he knows that it is what man deserves



Verses 3-4: These verses talk about the spiritual suffering David was feeling within his soul. An example of this suffering can also be found in the example of Christ Jesus himself as he was with some of His disciples in the Garden of Gethsemane. He asked God to allow the cup of suffering to pass from Him. But it was for the purpose God had for Him that He should die. That is a lesson we can learn, even if we pray to be relieved of our suffering, sometimes God does not always answer that request. I gave an example of this which was Mary Belle who had to undergo dialysis treatments three times a week, but many of the other people who were at the center were greatly blessed by her ministry of talking, praying, sharing the word and caring for others in the midst of her trial. She turned her suffering into an opportunity to serve her Lord.

verve 5: I remember, I meditate, and I consider your works. I have learned when I go through difficulties now, how God has delivered me in the past and how he has worked in other believers lives. I meditate on His Word and look for guidance and direction and trust in His promises. I consider that He is able to deliver me, but also He is sovereign and I have to trust His will for me. Also when I do these three things, it causes me to shift my attention off of me and have closer fellowship with Him, after all if there is an answer He knows what it is.

Verse 6: I stretch out my hand to you I long for you as a parched land. I don't only want you to deliver me today, but I want to hunger and thirst for your righteousness. I want you always to lead and guide me.

Verse 7: Going into the pit represents darkness.

Verse 8: In the morning represents light is coming and in the light comes hope.

Verse 8-10: Asks for guidance in three ways. First, Teach me in the way I should walk. Everyone has a specific plan and purpose for their life. We are God's workmanship , and He is training us for when that purpose is revealed we will be able to walk in it. Second, Teach me to do your will He has sent us the guidance of His holy spirit to teach us to grow spiritually.
Third lead me. We can be led by prayer through the word, by the Holy Spirit and by letting others mentor us, and we mentoring others. When we pray for guidance, we should not stop at just asking me the way I should go, but follow up with praying teach me to do your will, because our will is usually different than His.

Verses 11-12: Here he finishes his prayer with three requests. Revive me, or strengthen me, renew my health. He wants god to deliver Him out of trouble. He also asks God to deliver him out of the power of his enemies. He says for God's sake , because he will give the glory to God for granting these three petitions. God will be fulfilling some of His promises if he will deliver him this way, therefore he will be freer to be God's servant. But we must also remember that God doesn't always answer in the way we want Him to. Remember also that in our weakness, if we will continue to serve Him, He will be made strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment